Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Who's afraid of roasting chicken?

I think every good blog (and some bad ones too) should have a few food entries. This blog will have many. I mean look at me. I don't miss many meals, that's for sure.

Okay, so are you afraid of roasting chicken? Not roasted, I mean doing the work yourself. Well cast aside your fears my friends I'm here to help. Food ain't cheap, but I am. That's why when the roasters are 99 cents a pound I stock up.

One of the great things about roasting is how easy it can be. Fire up the oven, get a pan, toss in the chicken and voila (that's french for "did I do that?") dinner! At my house I do a bit more than that. First of all there's my non-patented chicken rub. Hey, hey, this food we're talking about. All my rubs start with salt and some kind of pepper. For chicken it's white pepper (this time). So it's salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika for color, a little cayenne cause it's there and voila (I don't need to translate voila again do I?).

Oil up the chicken (it's gonna get tan), then rub away. I use canola, but lite olive oil works too. The heat from roasting is a bit much for EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). Chickens are social animals so I throw in half a pound of carrots and 3 or 4 russet potatoes. I quarter the carrots and the potatoes are in sixths. I have no idea why. This particular bird was over five pounds so a 375 oven for an hour or so will do the trick. Now my little secret is to save some of the rub and sprinkle it over the veggies and pour about a half an inch of chicken broth in the pan.

An hour and ten minutes later voila, roast chicken and root veggies. Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Spoon the good juices over the veggies and cut up a salad while your chicken rests. Apparently roasting is hard on the chicken. Quarter the chicken (or smaller) and serve.

A great one pan dinner with minimal clean up. Jake and I had rice as well (cause it was there smart guy). I poured some of the juices from the bird over the rice too. Now this was some good eats and leftovers too boot.

Try it, if you like it let me know. If you don't like it then buy a dog, but don't give him the bones.

1 comment:

  1. I am your newest fan. Welcome to the blogging community.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete