Sunday, December 2, 2012

Here’s wishing a happy Sunday morning to one and all. I want to share a quick and easy fish recipe that I made last night. On Friday I stopped at Publix to pick up milk and eggs. While I was there I noticed that the salmon was on sale for $5.99. We don’t eat a lot of fish in the Moudy household, mostly because it’s so danged expensive. But $5.99 for farm raised salmon is not a terrible price. So I bought a big honkin’ piece (about 2 lbs.) of it. Saturday turned into a bit of a run around day and I didn’t get started on dinner until late. I opened the refrigerator and saw the salmon sitting there. That’s when I realized that we didn’t go back to Publix to pick up anything else and soooo… There sat the salmon. I wasn’t really in the mood to break out a bunch of dishes and cook a crap load of food. Still, there sat the salmon. I also didn’t want to deal with a bunch of dirty dishes and yet, there sat the salmon.
Thinking moderately quickly I channeled my inner boy scout and went for the tinfoil. To me nothing simplifies clean up like a foil lined pan. I broke out a big roasting pan and lined it with heavy duty foil. Now about that salmon… A quick scan of the pantry confirmed my fears. I was a little light on the ingredients department. But I had olive oil and what about shallots? Yes I had those too. Hmm, garlic cloves sat next to the shallots. Alas, no lemon, but my friend Robert brought over a huge bag of Satsumas last week and I still had some of those. I rummaged in the fridge and found some green beans that weren’t horrible. Okay, now I’m on a roll. So here goes:

1 big honkin’ piece of salmon
3 or 4 Shallots
2 or 3 gloves of Fresh garlic
Sea or kosher Salt
2 Satsumas
Green beans (about a pound)
1 Onion (only use about half)
Old Bays seasoning
Olive Oil
A big foil lined roasting pan

The rest is easy peasy
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees while you clean and prep the green beans.
Blanch (steam or boil for a short time, like 5 minutes) the green beans while you are rubbing the salmon on both sides with the olive oil.
Place the salmon in the pan skin side down.
Surround the salmon with the blanched green beans
Then sprinkle a little salt on the side without skin (and the beans too), and shake a generous amount of Old Bays seasoning also on the side without skin.
Thinly slice the shallots, onion and Satsuma’s and place the slices of all three on the salmon and green beans.
Smash and crop the garlic and also sprinkle it around.
Now tightly cover the pan with a layer of foil and bake for 25ish minutes and voila (that’s French for done and delicious). It’s dinner time baby.
Simple good food and real simple clean up. Give it a shot and let me know how you like it.
That’s good chow for now!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add that you can use lemons or oranges instead of satsumas.

    ReplyDelete