Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Bible is wrong, an argument for God and Rational thinking
The Bible is wrong. I said it and I mean it. I came to this conclusion today while brushing my teeth. That in of itself is surprising. This is surprising because I usually do my best thinking in a different part of the bathroom. I’m one of the top three thinkers in my household so I know what I’m talking about. You may say “Ha, there are probably only three thinkers in your house anyway.” Well you’re wrong mister smarty pants, there are six of us. That fact that three are dogs changes nothing. I’d stack my dog Oreo against anyone in a contest for manipulation and crafty thought.
Until I was in my forties I didn’t give the bible or God for that matter much thought. I grew up a reluctant Jew in the sixties and seventies. I experienced religious prejudice as a young boy, but that didn’t affect my view of my religion. I traveled the route of belief, Bar-Mitzvah, relief at not having to attend Hebrew school anymore then drifting away from religion. I returned to Judaism in my twenties and even taught Hebrew school (yes really) and Sunday Bible school for a time. Eventually I began to question the whole system of religion. I had questions, but only vague answers repeating tired platitudes such as “It’s faith”, “We can’t divine his purpose”, etc. So I studied other religions on my own. I’m no scholar by any means but I read various Christian bibles, treatises on comparative religions, a little Buddhism and Hinduism. All this study simply reinforced my doubt and confusion. I adopted a new way of thinking. I became a rational deist.
I know science is right. Therefore the bible is wrong. But if as others have argued that the bible is the true word of God, then God must be wrong. Hold on now, what if I can show that the Bible wasn’t written by God? Well that changes a lot of things, especially for those who don’t believe in God. The reasons that I believe the Bible was written by men is based on logic and common sense. I’ll whip a little science in there too though, because it supports my point very well. There’s actually some religious thought involved as I deemed that important as well.

I’ll start with the religious part first. To begin, I need to state some assumptions or “givens”. For the sake of argument I will assume the following:

1. God did and/or does exist.
2. God is both omniscient and omnipotent.
3. God is infallible.

Now here are my science assumptions or “givens”

1. Human beings have 23 pairs of chromosomes.
2. The 23rd pair determines the gender.
3. In simplest terms the pairs are either XX for female or XY for male gender.
4. The X chromosome is a complete chromosome.
5. The Y chromosome is a flawed X chromosome.


The book of Genesis is one heck of a story beginning with the creation of the universe and everything in it. A tall order I grant you but covered under religious given #2 above. Let’s fast forward to day six when the Bible states that God created man in his image. Supposedly Adam was created first then Eve was created from Adam, blah, blah, blah, out of Eden.

Now the term “man” and “mankind” used to represent both male and female people. So the vagueness of that statement is neutral to the conversation. So I contend the creation order was written down incorrectly to satisfy some misogynist male author’s idea of creation. Not how the event (if it happened), really happened. Based on the following chain of reasoning, logic proves to me that God is female and created Eve first, not Adam. Consider the following truisms. Science assumption #4 and #5 are true and based on the little bit of biology that I’ve studied. One thing that is known for sure is that the male gender is much more susceptible to various inherited diseases and birth defects than females due to the flawed nature of the Y chromosome. For example, color blindness, hemophilia, autism, are easily recognizable gender linked recessive inherited diseases.

Using religious givens #2 and #3 plus science givens #4 and #5 plus the bible verse where “God created “whomever” and it was good” proves that Eve was created first. Otherwise the bible verse should have read “and it was good, but I can do better.” Here’s common sense reason #1. Given religious assumption #2, God would not have created the non-child bearing being first (see conception of Jesus for additional proof). As all knowing, God knew that is was easier for Eve to give birth than to recreate the wheel so to speak with the whole rib from Adam thing. Please see religious assumption #3 for additional verification. Common sense reason number 2. Do you remember the question, “which came first the chicken or the egg?” Well, if the Bible is correct as written then the origin question should ask “which came first the rooster or the egg?”

Here’s my final common sense point. When I was growing up there was a machine used to make copies of documents called a mimeograph. The mimeograph worked very well, except that the copies weren’t quite as good as the original. In fact as one made more copies the quality diminished. My point here is that the Adam child/creation is a mimeograph of Eve, but with an “outie” to compliment Eve’s “innie” (this is a PG blog after all) setting up future generations. This begs another question, “why create an Adam at all, why not just a bunch of Eve’s?” The answer is pretty obvious. God’s got better things to do than just creating more Eve’s. So boom, God creates a ready supply of baby making juice and off she goes watching Angel’s playing baseball or whatever.

I also want to bring up a new trend in the United States. The fasted growing religious segment is “none”. That’s right the belief in God or a supreme being is declining. One of the stumbling blocks for me to believe is that the Bible is the word of God. Well I know that the Bible is wrong. But if the Bible is God’s word and it’s wrong then what’s to believe in? Now I’m trying to help here so bear with me. By admitting the fallibility of the good book you actually remove an obstacle to belief in a higher power. I have other issues to resolve before I would believe, but now at least I may be one step closer. Which is better than one step further away.

No comments:

Post a Comment